Introduction to iOS Development
Introduction to iOS Development is a 3-day intensive course teaching developers how to build apps for iOS 8 using the latest Xcode 6 and the new Swift language.
Who is it for?
Introduction to iOS Development is aimed at developers with any amount of experience in other platforms or languages who wish to learn how to develop iOS apps in Swift.
No knowledge of Objective-C, Swift or the iOS SDK is required.
If you have any questions about the course please contact Charles Gamble at Percula Software.
What will I learn?
Topics covered during the 3-day course include:
- Objective-C: Even though you will be developing in Swift it is still very useful to know the basics of Objective-C.
- Swift: Apple's hot new language targeted at app developers.
- Xcode: Project management, building and running, debugging.
- Cocoa Touch: The UIKit and Foundation frameworks are the building blocks of iOS apps.
- Storyboards and Segues: Build the flow of your app using Apple's visual Storyboards.
- Autolayout: Create flexible interfaces for various screen sizes.
- Navigation: How to move between the views of your application.
- TableViews: Display content in an interactive list.
- Keyboard Input: Get keyboard input from your users.
- User Preferences: Save and load your user's preferences.
- Web Services: Fetch useful information from web services in JSON format and then process that information.
- Core Location: Find out where your device is in the World.
- MapKit: Once you know where it is, display it on a map.
- Persistence: Save and load your user's data.
- Core Animation: Add a bit of polish to your app's user interface.
- Universal Apps: Build apps that work natively on iPhone and iPad.
During the course you will be developing a realistic and useful application that will run on the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices.
What do I get?
You will receive 3 days of training in developing apps for iOS 8 using Xcode 6 and Swift, along with a copy of the slides and code used throughout the course.
In addition, you will also receive a copy of the materials for the previous version of the course, based on iOS 7 and using Xcode 5 and Objective-C.
Percula Software can also offer on-site or customised training to suit your needs, please contact Charles Gamble at Percula Software with your training requests.
What do I need?
You will need to bring an Apple laptop capable of running OS X 10.9 Mavericks or later and with Xcode 6 installed.
Xcode 6 is a free download from the App Store.